Q When is the race on?
A Race day is April 7th 2019, 10.15am which is the same weekend as last year.
Q Can I enter on Race Day?
A Race day will be hectic for all - we'd prefer if you register well ahead of time.
Q Where will my sponsorship go and how much of it reaches the charities?
A This year your sponsorship will be split in the following way, 60% to the Hope Cancer Support Centre, Enniscorthy and 40% to the County Wexford Hospice Homecare Service. They will use the money to provide and develop their services. We aim that all of the money you raise goes to the charities and that race costs are paid for by our sponsors. Doyle Fielding and Co Chartered Accountants are the financial watchdogs on the project and they make public the accounts at the cheque presentation after the event.
It costs approximately €436,000 per annum to open the door of the Hope Centre. Only 19% of this money comes from grant aid mainly from the HSE, Irish Cancer Society and Túsla. The remaining 81% has to be raised through fundraising and donations.
In 2017, the hospice homecare service cost €669,201 to run and the HSE contribution was €201,732. The balance of €467,469 was made up of voluntary donations.
Q What kind of people are entering the race?
The short answer is all kinds, but here are some factoids. The split on participation for the two events last year was; 21% of participants registered for the 10Mile, 79% for the 10K, 70% women and 30% men. We have previously registered people from age 18 to those in their 70s. Please remember 18 is the minimum age permitted by our Insurance Company.
Q Is the ‘Little Dreamers Dash’ taking place this year?
A Yes it is. When the main events are underway we will have some fun on the Promenade at the Start/Finish area with the Kids races. These are free to enter.
Q Can I run the 10K and can I walk the 10 Mile.
A You can choose to walk or run either event as you see fit.
Q After I register can I change my mind and switch event?
A Yes you can, but you must notify us well in advance of race day. On the day participants will be identifiable by the colour of their numbers. If you decide to switch events without telling us this will cause a lot of confusion among participants and stewards on the course. It will also create inaccuracies in the electronic timing system.
Q Where do the 10K and 10Mile start and finish.
A Both events start at the same time (10.15am) at the same place on The Promenade, Enniscorthy. Both events finish at the same place.
Q What is the 10K course then, if the start is the same?
A The first 2.5 miles approximately are the same for all. At the Carleys Bridge Rd/New Ross Rd junction, all participants turn left towards Enniscorthy until they come to Red Paths cross where everyone turns right. Just after this point the 10Mile participants turn right heading for Davidstown and the 10K participants continue straight on along Tomnalosset for 1.8km to Plummers Cross. Here the 10K turns left and re-joins the 10Mile route until the finish. Course maps are available on the website.
Q Will there be Water, Toilets and First Aid on the Course?
A Yes there will be 3 water stations on the 10 mile route and 2 on the 10k route again this year and First Aid will again be provided by the Irish Red Cross.
Q Do I have to raise €100 to enter?
A Let me qualify my answer with some information first and then you can decide for yourself.
The average amount raised by participants last year was €65.
The cost of putting one participant on the road is approx. €25 and we are extremely grateful to the many organisations that pay for this event so that all of your fundraising can go to the charities untouched.
Now, to answer the question directly – No you don’t have to raise €100. All we can ask is that in the true spirit of the event, being mindful of the charities and the important and necessary work they do – please do your best.