The Hope Cancer Support Centre CLG provides vital emotional support for people affected by a cancer diagnosis.
The following therapies are provided free of charge:
- Nurse Support
- Wig fitting*
- Bra/Prosthesis fitting*
- Lymphoedema Treatment*
(* There may be a charge for items supplied)
It also runs weekly classes in Art, Yoga and Meditation and monthly and bi-monthly support groups.
In 2016, Hope introduced a CLIMB programme for children aged 5-12 who are experiencing the impact of a cancer diagnosis of the child’s parent, brother or sister, member of extended family or other significant adult. Throughout the programme the children develop an understanding of cancer and from the understanding the myths and fears that children can hold about cancer are dispelled. the groups are creative, using drama, arts and play. they are also based on having fun together and meeting new friends. CLIMB stands for Children’s Lives Include Moments of Bravery.
Hope to Drive was launched in 2017 for people who are receiving treatment for cancer. This service facilitates free transportation for those who are unable to drive or are having difficulty getting to and from the hospital for treatment. Using the Hope Centre car, volunteer drivers will collect and return clients to their homes. Hope and Dream 10 helps fund this programme.
If you are facing a cancer diagnosis, supporting a loved one with a diagnosis, or have been bereaved by cancer and are thinking about contacting Hope, please do…… their support is for you…. They are a local service supporting local people.
It costs approximately €431,000 per annum to open the blue door of the Hope Centre. Only 21% of this money comes from grant aid mainly from the HSE, Irish Cancer Society and Túsla. The remaining 79% has to be raised through fundraising and donations.
The proceeds Hope receive from the 2018 race will be utilised to help offer Counselling and Therapy services to people with cancer and their families, and to provide specialist counselling supports for children who have family members with a diagnosis. The Transport service and their outreach programme will be expanded to bring support services throughout the County and help reach all those people in need.
With your help Hope can continue to assist people affected by cancer by cancer, right across County Wexford.